Tenth Asia Pacific Regional Conference of the International Society for Third Sector Research (ISTR)
December 4-5, 2017 | Jakarta, Indonesia
Hosted by Trisaki University
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Akihiro Ogawa, Professor of Japanese Studies, Asia Institute, University of Melbourne, Australia since September 2015, is an internationally active scholar with a successful, multi-disciplinary approach to the social sciences. To learn more about Professor Ogawa, please click here.
CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
"Global Challenges and Sustainability in the Asia Pacific: The Role of the Third Sector"
Jakarta, 4-5 December 2017
Pullman Hotel Central Park
Hosted by CECT Trisakti University
Proposal Submission Deadline: 4 July 2017
The third sector is a well-established, diverse and growing component of most Asian and Pacific societies. Specifically, third sector organisations in some countries are forced to change their funding sources from purely donation-reliant to become more independent by undertaking social enterprise activities that generate income. Third Sector organisations are also required to act more professionally. This enables them to collaborate with the private sector so that this becomes an alternate source of funding, for example, through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funding.
Research in the fields of third sector, social enterprise, and CSR is also ever expanding, particularly in countries that have undergone substantial transformations in their economies and governance. However, there are constant, often overwhelming, global challenges that confront the operation and success of the third sector in the contemporary world.
This conference is an opportunity to showcase exciting new practice developments and research that seek to establish sustainable roles and cope with global challenges for third sector organizations in the many diverse countries that make up the region. We are very keen to see a wide range of papers that encompass applied research, practice research and theoretical advances and explorations in all aspects of this dynamic field.
ISTR Asia Pacific Conference Streams
Researchers are invited to submit papers under the following streams:
- Sustainable Well-Being: Welfare, Education and Health and the Third Sector
- Civil Society and Democratization
- Social Enterprise
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Partnerships and Collaborations
- Global Challenges to Third Sector Sustainability
- Developing Southern Theory for Third Sector Studies
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Emerging Areas of Theory and Practice
PhD Seminar (2-3 December 2017)
Continuing a tradition now well established for the ISTR International Conferences, we are, for the first time, going to hold a PhD seminar for research students from the Asia Pacific Region. This is an excellent opportunity for research students to gain advice and broaden their research horizons with experienced academics from a diverse range of countries in the region and to build important networks with fellow research students.
The PhD Seminar will be held in Jakarta on 2-3 December 2017, at MM-CSR Trisakti University Campus, hosted by CECT Trisakti University.
The template for PhD seminar can be downloaded at by clicking HERE.
Submission and Selection of Abstract
Proposals of Abstracts are welcomed for Conference and Panels (pre-arranged) of 3-4 papers are welcomed.
Format of Abstract:
o indicate the problems or issues the research addresses and relating it to the literature
o briefly outline the methodology used in the research
o provide indication of main findings to date
o include bibliographies
- Abstracts should be between 500 to 800 words in length (excluding bibliography)
- All abstracts should be prepared and written in English using the ABSTRACT Conference Paper or Panel Template SUBMISSION FORM (see below to download the forms)
- Conference and Panels will be organised in parallel sessions
- Special Note on Panel Submissions A panel submission is a proposal for a coordinated set of papers (usually 3 or 4 in number) on a particular topic or issue. Please note that panel proposals require an abstract identifying and justifying the theme of the panel as well as a full abstract for each panel paper. Panel proposals that do not include full abstracts and author information for each paper will not be considered. The person submitting the panel proposal must be willing to act as the panel coordinator and ensure that all proposed paper presenters commit to attending the conference. Please note that papers which are part of a submitted panel cannot be submitted separately as an individual submission. If the submission is submitted twice by the same author it will be rejected
- Submissions by practitioners, young scholars, and doctoral students engaged in research are very welcome
- All authors and presenters must formally register for the conference
- You must download the conference Paper or Panel ABSTRACT TEMPLATE SUBMISSION FORM. For the PAPER submission form, click HERE. For the PANEL submission form, click HERE
- All submissions meeting the requirements (paper, panel, or poster) will be subject to a blind review
- Only proposals of sufficient research quality and that are relevant to the aforementioned conference themes will be accepted
Deadline for PhD Seminar Abstract submission: 4 July 2017
Notification of acceptance/rejection to PhD students: 15 August 2017
Deadline for abstract submission for Conference and Panel: 4 July 2017
Notification of acceptance/rejection to authors: 15 August 2017
Deadline for conference registration: 1 November 2017
Deadline for final submission of papers: 15 November 2017
Conference starts: 4 December 2017
CONFERENCE ACADEMIC AND ORGANISING COMMITTEES
International Academic Committee
Ruth Phillips, University of Sydney (Australia)
Jiangang Zhu, Sun Yat-sen University (China)
Kin man Chan, Chinese University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
V.J. Byra Reddy, UPES (India)
Maria R. Nindita Radyati, Trisakti University (Indonesia)
Masayuki Deguchi, MINPAKU and Aya Okada, Kanazawa University (Japan)
Rashid Imtiaz, Pakistan Centre for Philanthropy (Pakistan)
Maria Faina Diola, University of the Philippines National College of Public Administration and Governance (Philippines)
Shih-Jung Hsu, National Chengchi University (Taiwan)
Local Organizing Committee:
Bambang Shergi (University of Indonesia)
Gregoria Arum (Atmajaya University Yogyakarta)
Bramantyo (PPM Jakarta)
Tirta Mursitama (Binus University)
Registration fee will be $US200 (ISTR members); US$325 and US$250 (including one-year ISTR membership fee for middle/high income and low-income country institution/affiliation, respectively). The fee will include conference materials, lunch, and evening reception.
Information including accommodation and scholarships will be available on the conference website later.
Any questions on abstract submissions for papers, panels, and posters, and any other information regarding the ISTR Ninth Asia-Pacific Regional Conference should be directed to 10th ISTR Asia Pacific Host: firstname.lastname@example.org