Ninth ISTR Regional Conference for Latin America and the Caribbean Network
Santiago de Chile, 28 to 30 August 2013
Conference title: "Participation and Representation: new paradigms for Civil Society in Latin America”
Objectives of the 9th Annual Conference
Exchange, debate and disseminate recent advances in research on the characteristics and challenges of participation processes and new ways of representation in Latin American and Caribbean civil society.
To learn more about the 9th Annual Conference, and to stay up-to-date on the latest developments, please visit the conference blog:
Current ISTR Members (except for Student Members): 75 USD
Current ISTR Student Members: 60USD
Non-members (including Affiliates of ISTR):120USD**
** 120USD includes 2013 conference fees and 2013 membership with ISTR; membership includes and online subscription to the journal Voluntas.
Call for Papers
Participation and Representation: new paradigms for civil society in Latin America
Participación y Representación: nuevos paradigmas para la sociedad civil latinoamericana
Specific Objectives of the Conference
1. Bring together a broad and plural group of Latin American and Caribbean researchers that are developing knowledge on regional civil society and the challenges of participation and representation
2. Establish a fruitful dialogue between the advances in research on civil society and the participative processes carried out by social actors, as well as political reform processes underway led by political actors in an effort to broaden the representation of civil society
3. Disseminate the advances in the construction of new paradigms in social and political understanding from research on civil society in the region
4. Fortify the community and academic bonds among researchers dedicated to civil society issues in the region
5. Get more researchers interested and involved in issues related to civil society
6. Contribute to the knowledge developed in the region and the main problems for the ISTR international academic community.
A total of 142 research abstracts were received at the end of the call, on March 25. Of these, 116 correspond to individual papers and 26 papers included in the 6 proposed panels.
We are pleased to announce that Bernard Enjolras, Editor of the journal Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, will participate in the Ninth Regional Conference in Santiago, Chile ISTR. Voluntas plans to publish a special issue on civil society in Latin America and the Caribbean a selection of the papers presented at the regional conference.
Conference Executive Committee
Gonzalo Delamaza, Universidad de Los Lagos, Chile
Esteban Valenzuela, Universidad Alberto Hurtado, Chile
Claudio Fuentes, Universidad Diego Portales, Chile
Anabel Cruz y Analía Bettoni, Instituto de Comunicación y Desarrollo Uruguay.
International Academic Committee
Beatriz Balian, Universidad Católica Argentina; Jacqueline Butcher, CIESC, México Alberto Hernández, ITESM, México; Marcelo Arnold, Dean, Facultad de Ciencias Sociales Universidad de Chile; Felipe Portocarrero - President, Universidad del Pacífico Perú; Mirta Vuotto – Universidad de Buenos Aires; Adriana Roffman – Universidad General Belgrano, Argentina; Javier Pereira – Universidad Católica del Uruguay; Viviana Barberena – Universidad del Externado Colombia; Rosa Maria Fischer - Universidad de San Pablo, Brazil